The Teacher of Speech/Language Impaired provides comprehensive educational, diagnostic, and therapeutic services to students with speech and language defects. The Teacher attempts to enhance the student's academic abilities by using a variety of techniques and/or therapeutic intervention strategies; diagnoses students with speech/language problems such as delayed speech and language, stuttering, voice disorders, and functional and organic articulation disorders, and provides appropriate therapy for those students; participates in the multi-disciplinary team process of student evaluation; develops individual education plans; counsels families of students with speech/language impairments; participates in parent education programs; and performs related work as required.
Each applicant must:
1. Present a Commonwealth of Pennsylvania Instructional Certificate in either Speech Correction, Speech and Language Impaired, Speech and Hearing Disorders or Speech Correctionist,
2. present a Commonwealth of Pennsylvania Intern Certificate in either Speech Correction, Speech and Language Impaired, Speech and Hearing Disorders or Speech Correctionist,
3. Present a current instructional certificate in either Speech Correction, Speech and Language Impaired, Speech and Hearing Disorders or Speech Correctionist from a state other than Pennsylvania. If you are not certified in Pennsylvania, you should immediately contact the Bureau of Teacher Preparation and Certification to begin the evaluation process at: 333 Market Street, Harrisburg, PA 17126-0333, or by phone at: 717-787-3356.
4. Present a Commonwealth of Pennsylvania Education Specialist Certificate for Speech,
5. Masters degree in Speech, Language Correction.
*The School District offers Clinical Fellowship experience under supervison with an experienced, PA certified Speech Therapist.
In order to be consider for this position, you are required to provide the following documents. Candidates failing to present these documents may not be added to the eligibility lists and will not be appointed.
A copy of your certification
PA license as a SpeechTherapist
Copy of your Masters’s degree or a copy of your college transcript which shows the date you earned your Master’s degree
Two letters of recommendation
A copy of current clearances, or proof that you have submitted for such clearances (PA Child Abuse and Criminal Check Background)
Note: The Department of Education will not grant the teaching certificate necessary for this position to individuals who have been convicted of certain crimes or who have a record of child abuse.
Note: If you have questions about submitting your application, and/or have questions, please reach out to Marissa Robinson, firstname.lastname@example.org .
The School District of Philadelphiadoes not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, veteran status, or disability.