Chief of Design & Planning
Support Administrator Salary Schedule, Level 7 (starting at $87, 116)
Location: Service Center
Work Year: 12 Months
FLSA Status: Exempt
1. General Education: Bachelor's Degree in Mechanical Engineering is required, with an emphasis on building systems. Prefer a current registration as a Pennsylvania Professional Engineer.
2. Possess a valid PA driver's license.
3. Four years of experience in design of mechanical building systems.
Performs additional duties as required and/or assigned by the Chief Operations Officer.
Strong oral and written communication is essential. Accurate hearing and listening skills are required.
City of Pittsburgh Residency Required
Essential Job Functions
- Prepares plans and specifications for mechanical building system renovations
- Directs efforts of mechanical engineering consultants.
- Prepares special studies and reports.
- Coordinates preventative maintenance efforts on mechanical building systems.
- Represents Facilities Division at meetings.
- Advises Maintenance staff on mechanical building systems repairs.
- Directs inspection work on mechanical system projects.
- Reviews shop drawings, change orders, and payment requests.
- Reviews major capital improvement projects.
- Assists in the planning, scheduling, and budgeting of future projects.
- Maintains mechanical building system records.
- Reviews and signs off on consultant mechanical building system design work.
1. Preparation of the budget for the mechanical portion of the Capital Program.
2. Scheduling design assignments for outside consultants and in-house staff.
3. Supervision and preparation of contract documents for all Facilities Division in-house mechanical projects.
4. Review of contract documents for mechanical construction projects.
5. Preparation and administration of various maintenance contracts.
6. Preparation of requests for proposals for various consulting engineers used in preparing contract documents for bidding.
7. Invoice review and payment approval for the various mechanical maintenance and small contracts.
8. Site visits to active construction sites to review mechanical construction progress.
9. Management and maintenance of the mechanical system archive files consisting of operation and maintenance manuals, contract documents and correspondence from completed projects.
10. Assisting the in-house maintenance staff in maintaining the districts mechanical building systems by providing information for existing mechanical equipment and explanations of the operation and maintenance of this equipment.
11. Participation in the School District of Pittsburgh Joint Labor/Management Energy Committee.
12. Participation & review of all energy related proposals and solicitations.
13. Supervision of the district's building automation systems.
14. Supervision of the Building Automation Technician.
15. Oversight of the energy performance contracts.
16. Implementation, record keeping, and coordination of maintenance activities associated with the Elevator inspection and testing service contract.
17. Review HVAC system water treatment reports with Plant Operations staff and coordinate any necessary repairs arising from these reports.
18. Budget Development
a. Keep a running list of all mechanical issues originated by all Pittsburgh Public Schools personnel, including in-house tradesmen, custodial staff, principals and teachers, and incorporate these potential projects into the Mechanical Design Master List.
b. In the late summer of each year consult with each of the mechanical trade's foreman (Steamfitters, Sheet metal Workers and Plumbers) to develop a list of mechanical system needs based on their service call visits to the buildings and general knowledge of the mechanical systems; and add these items to the COO's Mechanical Design Master List.
c. Also consult with the Chief of Plant Operations to obtain a list of his/her mechanical system needs.
d. Assign a budget estimate to each of the items on the Mechanical Design Master List.
e. From the list prioritize the projects with respect to the available budget and suggest the inclusion of these projects at our budget meetings.
Additional Job Information
ADA: The employer will make reasonable accommodation in compliance with the American with Disabilities Act of 1990.