The primary function is to plan, guide, and evaluate inter-scholastic athletic experiences designed to contribute to the physiological, psychological, educational, and social development of the participants. In addition, the Head Softball Coach is responsible for overseeing the entire athletic program for softball and for supervising the activities of assistant softball coaches.
Bachelor's Degree required.
Must hold a valid Indiana Teacher's License in Secondary Education - Preferred
Evidence of teaching ability and understanding of the needs of youth required. Experience as a high school and college participant in the sport being coached, and experience as a head softball coach or in a comparable leadership/administrative capacity, especially within IPS, preferred.
• Administers all aspects of the competitive program of softball and supervises assistant coaches.
• Plans and implements the softball athletic program at the school.
• Communicates effectively the objectives of the athletic program to other coaches and participants, parents,
media, and community, following procedures with press releases.
• Motivates student athletes to realize their greatest potential on the playing field, in the classroom, and in their daily lives (athletically and academically.)
• Exercises good judgment and strategy with respect to game play.
• Cooperates with coaches of other sports in the school.
• Disciplines athletes when necessary.
• Supervises the pre-season and in-season conditioning program and organizes practice sessions.
• Effectively supervises the screening process for large squads.
• Organizes game plans effectively, as well as drill plans, etc.
• Prevents and treats athletic injuries.
• Exercises good judgment in the care of equipment.
• Supervises and approves the eligibility of softball athletes.
• Exhibits sportsmanship and ethical behavior with students, coaches, officials, opponents, parents, etc.
• Cooperates with morale-building groups, such as parent clubs, letterman clubs, etc.
• Maintains professional relationships with all personnel connected with athletic events.